IMDA has completed the review and finalised the decision on the proposal for the Full SMS Sender ID Registry Regime (the “Full SSIR Regime”). The decision has been published on IMDA’s website
To balance industry’s request for more time, with the urgent need to protect Singapore mobile users from spoofed SMS messages, IMDA will commence transition from 31 October 2022 and implement the Full SSIR Regime on 31 January 2023. From 31 January 2023, all organisations intending to use alphanumeric Sender IDs in their SMS messages to Singapore mobile users must first register the Sender IDs.
Reservation of Sender IDs will be available from 31 October 2022 onwards via the SSIR portal
. Organisations may wish to familiarise yourselves with the information below in order to sign up.
The SSIR was set up in March 2022 to enable organisations to protect their customers from receiving fraudulent SMS messages that spoofed the organisations’ SMS Sender IDs. The registry is operated by the Singapore Network Information Centre (“SGNIC”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Infocomm Media Development Authority (“IMDA”).
Full SSIR Regime
In the current implementation of SSIR, organisations register the Sender IDs which they intend to protect from spoofing. However, scammers are still able to send lookalike Sender IDs that are not registered by any organisation. From 31 January 2023 onwards, all non-registered Sender IDs will be marked as “Likely-SCAM”.
What You Need To Do
From 31 October 2022, you may reserve your Sender IDs via the SSIR portal
on a first-come-first-served basis.
You will first need to create an account in the portal before you can log-in to reserve your preferred Sender IDs. Before you create your account, please ensure that you have the following information ready:
- Organisation’s registered name (based on ACRA), registered address & Unique Entity Number;
- Full name, contact number & email address of the person designated as your organisation’s Admin account holder in the portal. The Admin account holder in the portal will be able to create other User accounts for your organisation;
- List of participating SMS aggregators that your organisation works with to deliver your SMS messages. You will need to ensure that the aggregators you work with are participating in the SSIR. You can check the list here.
- List of Sender IDs you intend to reserve for your organisation; and
- Organisation’s Corppass for company verification purposes.
SGNIC will process your application after your account is created. Once your account is approved, your Admin account holder will receive an email notification. You will thereafter be able to log-in to the portal and reserve your preferred Sender IDs.
Fees & Billing
There will be a one-time setup fee of S$500 for each registered organisation, and an annual charge of S$200 for each registered Sender ID. Prices are listed before prevailing Goods & Services Tax.
For further information, please refer to our FAQs
If you have further queries please reach out to us at [email protected]