Package of Goodies to Boost Competition for '.sg' Domain Names Announced
1. To boost competition in the '.sg' domain name registration market, the Singapore Network Information Centre (SGNIC) will implement a package of enhancements to its registrar accreditation and pricing frameworks. These enhancements will include the reduction of domain name prices for registrars and see more robust accreditation requirements imposed.
2. SGNIC will reduce its wholesale prices for 2nd-level and 3rd-level '.sg' domain names1 offered to its registrars from S$40 to S$30 per domain name. SGNIC will also launch a bundled promotion for 2nd or 3rd level '.sg' domain names for registrars. For every 3rd level '.sg' domain name registered, registrars can receive a complimentary matching 2nd level domain name2. In addition, SGNIC will replace its S$70,000 performance bond requirement with alternative measures. This will ensure that only serious players enter the market without being onerous on these registrars.
3. General Manager for SGNIC, Mr Lim Choon Sai, explains SGNIC's latest moves, "As the national registry3, SGNIC regularly reviews the domain name registration policies for '.sg' domain names. This is done with the aim of facilitating market competitiveness and lowering market entry barriers for the domain name registration market. The reduction of domain name prices offers registrars cost-savings which they could then extend to their customers. The enhanced accreditation scheme on the other hand, provides for a more robust framework which balances the need to protect consumers with that of encouraging more competition in the domain name registration market."
Reduction of Domain Name Prices
4. SGNIC will reduce its prices to registrars for all 2nd-level and 3rd-level '.sg' domain names from S$40 to S$30 per domain name. The new fee offers registrars savings of up to 25% of their domain name registration costs.
5. Except for domain names ending with '.per.sg', all other domain names such as '.sg', '.com.sg', '.net.sg', '.org.sg' and '.edu.sg', registered to SGNIC by the registrars will be entitled for this reduced price. As SGNIC currently charges registrars only S$15 for '.per.sg' domain name, this third-level domain name will not be subjected to further discounts.
6. In addition, SGNIC will launch a bundled promotion for 2nd or 3rd level '.sg' domain names for registrars. For every 3rd level '.sg' domain name registered, registrars can receive a complimentary matching 2nd level domain name. For instance, if xyz.com.sg is registered, registrars need not pay SGNIC for xyz.sg. The promotion only applies for new registrations from today onwards and is subject to both domain names being available. The promotion will end on 28 February 2006.
More Robust Accreditation Framework
7. To make its accreditation framework more robust, SGNIC will replace its S$70,000 performance bond requirement with alternative measures effective 1 October 2005. This balances the need to make the accreditation framework flexible enough to lower market entry barriers yet secure enough to ensure that only credible companies are accredited.
8. For a start, companies interested to be accredited by SGNIC, will need to have at least six months of experience in domain name registrations (i.e. as a domain name re-seller or a domain name registrar of other registries) and two years of audited statements showing a minimum working capital of S$50,000. Companies (e.g. start-ups) which do not have the required audited statements will be allowed instead to offer a S$30,000 performance bond.
9. Secondly, SGNIC will step up its performance measures by requiring that registrars maintain a total of at least 500 new registrations per year to remain accredited. In line with SGNIC's more rigorous checks, the application fee and annual accreditation fee will be increased from S$500 to S$1,000 and from S$1,000 to S$1,500 respectively.
For More Info & Details of Participation
10. Interested companies can refer to SGNIC's website at http://www.sgnic.com.sg for more information on the revised accreditation and pricing frameworks. For more details of how the bundled promotion can be extended to consumers, please refer to SGNIC's seven accredited registrars4.
ISSUED BY THE SINGAPORE NETWORK INFORMATION CENTRE PTE LTD
Notes to Editors:
1 Second-level and third-level '.sg' domain names include domain names such as '.sg', '.com.sg', '.net.sg', '.org.sg', '.edu.sg' & '.per.sg'.
2 This offer is valid subject to the availability of the matching domain name. SGNIC reserves the right not to offer the complimentary domain name should the registrant fails to meet the necessary documentary requirements.
3 As the national domain name registry, SGNIC is chartered with maintaining Singapore's '.sg' domain name database. SGNIC is also in charge of setting related domain name registration policies.
4 The seven accredited commercial registrars are:
Adicio Pte Ltd
Cybersite Pte Ltd
IP Mirror Pte Ltd
Pacific Internet Ltd
SingNet Pte Ltd
Vooju Pte Ltd
Webvisions Pte Ltd